Search

Custom Search

Sunday, 30 October 2016

Look Around The Inside Of A Giant Laptop In SL

















Looking through the Destination Guide in Second Life this morning, I noticed quite an unusual sim so I went over to have a look.  It's called 'Laptop on RanDom' and when you teleport over there you find a giant laptop computer in front of you.  Walking to the large keyboard I found the Enter Key on the right, clicked it and I was instantly teleported inside the laptop, landing among the working parts. There are yellow mats at each section that indicate doors to take you inside the various components.  There is also a Sedgway type vehicle you can hop on to tour the motherboard, which is good fun.  You can stop the Sedgway any time and jump off to explore by foot.  What a great idea, I've always been fascinated by computers and the way they work, though I'm no expert at it, at all. 

A while ago I went to one of the SL Science Circle lectures where we heard all about the new extremely powerful computers being used by scientists today and to be honest they make our binary computers look like an abacus. Binary computers have a limit, because they can only be as powerful as to how many transistors they can cram onto a processor. Whereas Quantum computers are a totally new way of processing altogether and it appears that the amount of data they can process all at once may be entirely without limits. There might be a day when Quantum computers will be sold to the public, just as binary systems are now, but I can't see it happening in the near future. There is no doubt about it, I have a job to get my head around Quantum science, but the way it works is just very intriguing! Have a look at the videos below for info about Quantum computers and go over and visit the Laptop on RanDom next time you log into SL.

Janey Bracken

No comments: