I went over to Virtual Hyde Park to watch a live tribute band on Saturday night. It was Abba Sweden and I must say I was really impressed!! The band sounded pure Abba and so smooth you would have thought it was an actual Abba recording! Looking the part too, the virtual group had really worked on their avatars to dress just like the famous Swedish legends, (although regretfully, due to lag Jesper Prinz remained grey to me!) Abba has proved to be so popular in real life that their music is still very much appreciated all over the world, and it has the staying power to be around for a long time to come! So bringing Abba music into SL is a great idea, as there must be many fans who visit the grid and are only too happy to catch their favourite music in-world.
I caught up with one of the band members Jesper Prinz and he kindly answered some questions for me. The band consists of avatars Greta Genira, Ewa Aska, Jesper Prinz, Erik Bruun, and Annabella Lundquist (Annabella had been unable to play Hyde Park as she hadn’t been able to access the full sim, which was a shame).
I asked Jesper if they were actually an ABBA tribute band in real life and I wanted to know what brought them to Second Life. He told me “No, we are not. We are far too old and ugly for that:) We have always loved music and doing shows and this with Abba Sweden's really just a distraction from our other doings in SL.” Jesper continued “Earlier we played in another band, but quit. But our appetite was wetted....We also needed to do something at our own sims, Icehotel SL, Sarek/Nordic Lights etc...and Ewa Aska came up with this idea.”
Why did they pick the group Abba to form a tribute band? Jesper said “We all are from Sweden and we all stood in front of the mirrors and mimed when we were kids... with the cassette tape-recorders on full volume!” I asked if Jesper thought ABBA was a favourite with everyone in SL, he told me “No unfortunately not, not yet! But we will conquer the grid!” Did Jesper think SL is a good place for musicians? “SL is a great place for people to realize their dreams, with little fundings” he answered.
I asked him if there was anything else he would like to add, surprisingly he told me “Well first of all we have to say that we are really disappointed at Torric Rodas who totally ignored our little, but all so humble list of requirements. But we will give him another chance and just because he shall not be able to escape from it next time, I present it openly here:
1) A private room in the stadium at least 200 square meters and with a closet that has room for at least 3500 pieces. Anna, Eva and Greta has a huge amount of clothes and these are more important than life itself to them.
2) All furniture must be white backstage
3) The toilets must be brand new and will be inspected before
4) Evil Eye lights that give protection against evil glances from parts of Second Life
5) Candlelight made of lemon, myrrh, cinnamon and tea.
6) 250 pcs white roses that fills our dressing room but also to match with the white furniture
7) Anna requires an iPod to the brim full of rockabilly, so that she will be in the mood
8) Calorie-free Japanese pixel crisps with fresh vegetables Ranch dip
9) Lodge shall not have air conditioning when the risk for colds is imminent
10) Oxygen on stage
11) Round toothpicks
12) New Zealand cheddar cheese”
So you see Jesper is not only a terrific musician, he also has a great sense of humour, at least I think he was joking, or ABBA Sweden may prove to be SL Divas to rival Mariah Carey! Get them what they want boys, we want them back to entertain us!!
Thank you for talking to me Jesper!!