Search

Custom Search

Thursday, 22 April 2010

The Re-Building of Big Ben


How do you go about building something like Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in a virtual environment, well with great difficulty as far as I can see. However, the task isn’t all that daunting if you have a couple of builders who think perfect detail is the way to go, plus they have the building skills to surpass the majority of the SL population!! Well New London Village sim owner Kat Kassner and Manager Laredo Lowtide have torn down the old Big Ben that had been in the sim and recreated a stunning new one. Kat told me that they had been putting off re-doing Big Ben for months, however Laredo said it had “come together really quickly” He added “It was a pleasant surprise”. Kat said “It wasn’t as hard as we thought it was going to be.” She also told me that it only took 60 prims, and that is some achievement in itself for such an outstanding building! The structure of the building is very impressive, it’s a large and dominant feature just as it should be, and very much like the real life Houses of Parliament. The textures are detailed and sharp and certainly look 3D rather than flat and lifeless. I asked them how they worked together as a team and Kat told me that she builds, and Laredo said that he does the textures. They said they had started off building the ‘Police Boxes’ in the beginning (from the Dr Who TV series). Kat wants to build more London landmarks and I am looking forward to seeing what will be built in the near future. Kat and Laredo put on many events in the sim, I had just missed a World War 2 themed week, which was a shame, but I will let you know of any future events coming up. The Dr Who style London sim works very well, Kat and Laredo have provided the right atmosphere and re-creating the London buildings with such detail makes it a perfect place for travellers in time and space to spend a lot of real time there.




Janey Bracken
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a few moments I thought the article was about me. It was a lovely article but I am so disappointed. LOL

-Benn Dreadlow

Janey Bracken said...

Lol Benn, I have heard you are a man of towering stature, do your friends call you Big Benn?

Janey :))

Anonymous said...

Only the ladies! *Winks*