Search

Custom Search

Thursday, 4 March 2010

Were Contest Rules Abused?

It was supposed to be a nice little photograph competition, not a huge event, but winning 5,000 Lindens is a lovely sum of money to buy a few pairs of good shoes and perhaps pay your rent for a few weeks. DX Exchange had kindly sponsored the competition and I looked forward to going over and voting for what I thought was the best picture. The judging had been left up to the people calling in and casting their votes, although it seems now that this can be used unfairly by some residents of SL.

When I arrived to look at the pictures, all of which were of a high standard, many of them deserving to win, I noticed that a couple of entries had a ridiculously high number of votes. On top of this the actual people who had entered seemed to have taken over the virtual Knightsbridge gallery, standing guard in front of all the photos. Of course vote rigging can’t really be proved, but one of my friends told me that when he had gone in to vote one of the crowd had asked him to give the picture they wanted to win a vote as well, which is simply out of order. As I watched I saw people teleporting straight into the display area and knowing what picture to vote for almost the second they arrived without looking at the other pictures. Ok perhaps people’s friends do go in and vote for them to show their support, but over 400 ‘friends’ willing to do that?

I’m not going to post the winners here because, in my opinion, I think the contest rules had not been complied with, as people weren’t going in and looking at all the pictures to pick the best ones. I feel sorry for the other people who entered, as their photos were very nice, but they never stood a chance against the determination of people who thought 5,000 Lindens was a fortune and worth bending the rules for. What does that work out to, well I’m not very good at maths but maybe around £10, and I can only think that the people are hard up in real life to fight so hard to win it.

If you dropped into the gallery let me know what you think. Do you think this contest was unfairly won? If you entered let me know your feelings and how you think contests should be judged in the future. What I saw happen, just to win a few pounds, was astonishing.

PS Oh and by the way I am beginning to dislike that animation override that people use when they swagger around thinking they look like gangsters, Al Capone’s they are not!!!


Janey Bracken


9 comments:

Juko said...

Yesterday I was accused of being naive for thinking this sort of behaviour was unacceptable. I think it should be possible to have a contest and invite people to choose a picture they think is good, as any 'expert' judge would. Rallying friends who only vote for you is, as you say, desperate behaviour for so little cash, taints what could be a fun activity and only reflects badly on those who do it.

Janey Bracken said...

Hello Juko,

Thank you for commenting and I agree totally with you.

Janey :))

Hannah Yakan said...

I remember a contest my friend(acquaintance) was entered in a couple years ago. She TPed her entire friends list in to vote for her clothing line, so she could win "Best New Designer" Needless to say, she was not the best designer, in fact she was worst. We were all nice, saying nice things, voting for her. I was relieved when she didn't win, I did not want her taking the win from someone more deserving. Voting contests are not fair, nor will they ever be. It's so sad.

Janey Bracken said...

Hi Hannah,

That's an interesting story, thank you! it does put people in awkward positions if their friends do ask them to vote, especially if their work isn't the best, I don't know how people can be happy with their win if they didn't deserve it, but I suppose some don't care as long as they get the top prize.

Janey :))

Juko said...

Hi Hannah,

I don't agree that such contests are unfair. I ask my friends to vote, but don't expect them to vote for me! I want them to enjoy the contest, and make their own judgement, that's how voting can and should work.

Ed Follet said...

Hi Janey, as I said on my blog, this is not cheating but gamesmanship. We can not say for sure that anybody didn't vote for their favourite picture, how can we know? One positive effect is that it has inflated the sims traffic figures and as long as that happens this type of competition will continue to be held.

:-))

Janey Bracken said...

Hi Ed,

I agree, like I said in the article it can’t be proved, and that’s why I entitled the story ‘Were Contest Rules Abused’ rather than ‘rules broken’, it’s a moral issue really and people have different values to what they think is right and wrong. I don’t think the blip in the increase in traffic will help the sim, it merely puts people off of entering any contests again, as they know others will get up to the same tactics, that’s unless of course they all go for the same tactics, which seems a lot of trouble (but imagine how crowded the gallery would be!!). Would you enter the contest again in the same circumstances?

Janey :))

Anonymous said...

This person must be incredibly popular to have all those friends willing to vote for what I thought a very mediocre photo, there were others far better but that is my view of course. I wonder how many of these votes were made by 'alts' of this individual. There is no way of knowing but the thought went through my mind that it may be possible to have any number of ‘alts’, that at least would explain the fact that they went straight to the required photo to place their vote. BJ

Janey Bracken said...

Hi BJ,

Thanks for your comments and I would guess that people would use alts as well if they are that desperate to win, they would probably try anything, lol!

Janey :))