Search

Custom Search

Friday, 13 November 2009

Memorial in Virtual Kensington


It's been the week to pay a tribute to our Armed Forces, last Sunday we had Remembrance Day and on Wednesday we had Armistice Day to mark the 91st Anniversary of the end of the First World War and the fact that the last three veterans in the UK died earlier this year makes it seem even sadder.

Yesterday I talked to TD Reinard and asked him if he had been building anything lately in virtual Kensington and he told me he has been working on a church. Later on I went up the road to see for myself what he had been doing and there it was, half finished, but already looking very beautiful, a church with the lines of a small cathedral. Just outside he has created a memorial for the Armed Forces too, there are a few poppy wreaths and you can buy a poppy to wear in-world. It's very well done, and very touching. The church is just amazing and when it's finished I can see that it would be the ideal place for that white wedding that people love in SL. Just think you have the feel of a real church wedding and then you can go just over the road for the poshest reception in the Kensington building. Kensington may become the trendiest place in SL to get married!

Changing the subject completely, a week or so ago I mentioned about setting your menu to view sculptie items in SL, as sometimes they don't rez properly looking like curled up spiders on your viewer. Well SarahKB7 Koskinen kindly gave me some more hints about altering the settings so that you can see everything. She told me that level 10 is the best setting, I had advised level 4, but Sarah said this is ok for small areas, but for wider areas a 10 is perfect, she also mentioned that when you clear your cache the setting reverts back to the default SL setting, so you have to set it all again, which I found happened with me. Thanks for the tip Sarah!
Janey Bracken

2 comments:

Ed Follet said...

Thanks for this report Janey. The 11th November is also veterans day in the US and they have a huge tribute site to honour those that have, or are currently serving in the armed forces. Our RL 'Armed Forces Day' in June was a virtual non-event in SL. I'm sure we can do something better next year.

Janey Bracken said...

Thank you for your comment Ed, I did write about the Veterans Day on CNN too as this is very important. I think we should definately get together next year to pay a tribute to our Armed Forces Day in June, it's the least we can do to pay our respect and show our gratitude to them!

Janey :)