Search

Custom Search

Thursday, 12 November 2009

Chelsea sim - New Beginnings

I loved the Chelsea sim, Hibiscus and I had lived in one of the Imperial Warf blocks of apartments there, enjoying every minute of it. The sim had seemed a peaceful and nice place, sort of elegant and classy with it’s park just outside of the apartments and a row of houseboats along the edge of the sim leading up to the copy of the very famous Big Ben clock tower. In fact I lived in one of the boats in the beginning and it was an exciting time in my SL life when I had just started writing for Virtually London (lite), so the old virtual Chelsea was very dear to me. It felt very much like a residential area and although never having a large amount of traffic, it did seem very much like part of virtual London.

Of course times change and people have new ideas, we woke one day to find our lovely park was being taken apart to save on prims, spoiling the whole thing, then some of the houses were being turned into boxes without any attractive features, once again to save on expensive prims. The trouble with this is that the sim had to be attractive for people to want to go there, so it’s a fine balance between making sensible cuts and making a place look ugly. I would have thought that using the right amount of prims and having sensible rents would have attracted more people to live there, but then again I have always thought that about the rent situation. Instead of rents people could afford the rents in Chelsea went through the roof for less prim allowances, thus also pushing the remaining people out. The boats too had been spoiled a long time ago, for some reason catamarans took their place at first, which was a strange replacement for the houseboats, later even the catamarans disappeared.

There had been a little hope towards the end as a Jazz club was promised, but this again proved to be a compromise by putting the club in the low ceilinged fire station building. With the gloomy decor of the interior and lack of good Jazz type music, plus strange opening times for Virtual Londoners, there was nothing much to make it a success. In a way I suppose these are good lessons to be learned in SL, just like Soho you have to see what works and what doesn’t and chances have to be taken, but there is the old saying about ‘don’t spoil the ship for a ha’peth of tar’ in other words getting rid of the fine detail and solely cutting back is a none starter. Maybe Linden Labs should re-think their fees again, owning a sim is an expensive business for the majority of people and the ways to make money for the sim owners are very restricted apart from renting out shops and residential buildings.

So what am I getting at with all this reflection of the past glories of the Chelsea sim? Well there is a little excitement, a new beginning, gone are the ugly new houses and the strange looking park, no catamarans at all now float in the harbour and the depressing Jazz club has been raised to the ground! Big Ben still surveys all it sees I’m glad to say, and the Gossipgirl building and cafĂ© have survived, plus one lonely house where, I suppose, the tenant doesn’t want to move out, but apart from that the sim is a blank canvass waiting for something brilliant to take shape. I am looking forward to the new area with great anticipation, I know the people now in charge will do a fantastic job as they already have the other sims doing so well!

But forgive me if I still feel a little sad for the Chelsea that it once was, I will always have fond memories of it and I still have my pictures that I took for Virtually London (lite) to remind me about how lovely it used to be before the changes came.


Janey Bracken


10 comments:

Drumbo Buccaneer said...

I used to rent one of the town houses up the road from the catamarans...

Janey Bracken said...

Hi Drumbo,

I didn't realise you had a house in virtual Chelsea, nice to know you had a good view of the catamarans.....

Janey :)

rails said...

How the worm turns, seems when the jazz club was up and running you loved it Janey

Janey Bracken said...

Hi Rails,

Yes I loved the idea of the Jazz club and kept trying to hint that it should be similar to the other romantic clubs in SL like Phat Cats and Franks Place with Ella Fitzgerald type music or easy listening stuff if you remember. I mentioned it to the sim owner as well hoping that the venue would have the success of those other clubs. The trouble was you seemed to think more of cutting stuff back and doing it cheaply, which I know you had to think about too, than making it a romantic location for people. And why the funny hours for opening, all right it may not have been funny for you because of your time zone, but you only had to look at the times when the London sims had the most traffic to work out when people might be interested in visiting the Jazz club. It was the same with the opening of Soho, I think it was about 8am Uk time and about 6 people turned up (not counting the next opening night with the concert). The strange times for the Jazz club carried on even after, with the manager of the club having events at 4pm UK time when the sims were empty

I would have loved the Jazz club to have been a success and tried to tell you at the time. It was only my opinion, but we needed a venue with a bit of style, not 1 prim sofa's that looked better in an office. There is a need to keep costs down, I appreciate that, but if you cut things too much no one wants to be there, as you could see yourself people just moved out of Chelsea in the end, with SL it's the detail that counts, the wow factor that make people want to come back.

Yes I loved the idea of the Jazz club and wanted to give it publicity to make it work, I tried to tell you about the success of the other clubs because they held the key to it working, but then I'm no one, I'm not on the London team, so I doubt you took any notice of me, but I did try.

Janey

rails said...

Quote "not 1 prim sofa's that looked better in an office. There is a need to keep costs down, I appreciate that, but if you cut things too much no one wants to be there, as you could see yourself people just moved out of Chelsea in the end, with SL it's the detail that counts, the wow factor that make people want to come back."

Tell Deb's that, I paid for everything in the chelsea club, and I do mean everything.

Quote "And why the funny hours for opening, all right it may not have been funny for you because of your time zone, but you only had to look at the times when the London sims had the most traffic to work out when people might be interested in visiting the Jazz club."

Contrary to Londons belief, SL doesnt revolve around them.

Quote "The strange times for the Jazz club carried on even after, with the manager of the club having events at 4pm UK time when the sims were empty"

To get a continuous footprint on the london sims and to raise its profile different time zones bring in traffic. If you ever get to the stage where you own your own sim, you will realise that (maybe).

Final quote "The trouble was you seemed to think more of cutting stuff back and doing it cheaply"

When a sim was in astate of such neglect as when it was handed to me, neglect that came from IMHO folks getting free rent, folks get discounts cos sim managers gave preferred service over others, then cost cutting as you call it, was necessary. However I poured over 10K lindens into Chelsea, of my own money. Go and price an INTAN dance ball, that will give you some idea of just how expensive it is to set up a club.

Janey Bracken said...

Hello Rails

I know how much those one prim sofas are, they don’t come cheap, but were highly inappropriate for the club, I have a couple in the shop we have, which they suit, so you could have used the money more wisely! I think you play down Virtual London too much, whilst SL does not run around it, it is an astounding success and something that I’m sure the Lindens are very happy about. You say about the continuous footprint on the London sims to raise it’s profile different time zones to bring in traffic, well you never did raise it’s profile, no one came into virtual London at those times, bad marketing on your part?

The Chelsea sim had been well loved by its residents before you took it on and you can’t tell me you built stuff in SL London out of the kindness of your heart, I noticed all those shops that you opened in places like Soho as well, and they weren’t all freebie shops, were you paying rent on them? If you are having a go at Hibiscus and me for having an apartment in Chelsea, this was Debs way of thanking us for promoting virtual London on Virtually London (lite), as we do not get any form of wages for our writings. Also you even messed up our apartments, we had front doors that we couldn’t even open by the time you finished with them, no Rails, think again, are you sure you are not just looking for other people to blame for your own failings?

Anonymous said...

lol someones bitter oh its the 11th something big happens today best news ever mentors are gone

rails said...

Good try Janey, no points, there is no bitterness on my part, two people taught me a valuable lesson in SL. Two people actually managed to rip me off big time, the last being Debs Regent - got the financial scars to prove that.

Quote "this was Debs way of thanking us for promoting virtual London on Virtually London (lite), as we do not get any form of wages for our writings."

Glad you raised that, given I didnt name names. I seem to recall an incident where you walked from London vowing never to write for them again, could be wrong there, something along the lines of the Last London post.

But your back writing, ooops, sorry blogging about London.

Quote"think again, are you sure you are not just looking for other people to blame for your own failings?"

If you want to apportion blame start at the top where it is rightly deserved.

I left London of my own accord, it was a great feeling.

Besides London Leaks like a seive and I still get good intel from there, one has to ask why, happy staff dont leak info.

To anon, Mentors are being disbanded, new times are coming, greater challenges ahead and all without Linden Support.

Have nice christmas

Janey Bracken said...

Hello Rails,

I can only advise you to have a happy life and try not to dwell on the past. You did get paid for building work in virtual London, perhaps you forgot that. As for me, I will keep on 'blogging' and loving virtual London, I'm pleased I returned to writing about it, as I missed it, and I'm not afraid to say so! I wish you well with whatever venture you choose.

Lumpy S said...

Rails you could not be more bitter if you tried london has moved on now much bigger and better without people like you that walk around thinking your a god.
It makes me sick to see you trying to blame others for your mistakes sl chrlsea was turned into a bloody joke know matter how you try to butter up your story trying to blame debs and others for your bad work on the building no wonder people left.
Oh look secondlife still runs without mentors funny that' its a shame really alot of the mentors where good people it was the big headed power hungry ones that messed it up for the rest.
Like you say on to bigger and better things now your gone merry christmas lmao